The highlights:
-The instructor brought donuts for everyone so I liked her already.
-The instructor used a knitted uterus, her words but it was a knitted sack, and stuffed it with a baby doll to demonstrate the different stages of labor, such as effacement and dilation. Much better than a powerpoint presentation or a video. Although I'm not sure we're out of the woods on watching a birthing video.
-We were introducing ourselves to the group and the instructor mentioned that John had a big head and it's usually genetic. I think she was trying to warn me.
-There was one other couple in the group that isn't finding out the sex of the baby. I thought we would be the only ones. The instructor asked John if he wanted to find out and he said, "I go with whatever she wants". Such a good husband :-)
-Found out some wonderful things about my delivery hospital- I will labor, deliver and recover in the same room. The hospital has no policy in place on when you can get an epidural so you can receive it as soon as your OB gives the OK AND they will give it to you continually through the entire labor. LOVE my hospital...because I plan on getting drugs and as soon as possible. I also found out that the anesthesiologists there are some of the best in the country.
-John freaked everyone out by telling the room that his co-worker's baby got the umbilical cord wrapped around his ankle in utero and the foot had to be amputated. The instructor didn't know how to respond to that since she had never heard of such a thing. I was sure to point out that at the time, they had awful healthcare.
-The instructor told us that babies do not look cute when they're first born. The Mom will think they are beautiful because of the hormones but the Dad may wonder what happened to their kid. John took this opportunity to ask how long a baby's head stays in a cone shape. He saw a picture of me as a newborn and I had a misshapen head so it's a concern of his now.
After the childbirth class, we stopped at a baby furniture store to check out the rockers and recliners by Little Castle and Storytime. I decided they weren't worth the extra money, almost double the price of the Ashley chair, because they weren't any more comfortable. We stopped at Boston Market for lunch (yummy turkey sandwich and mashed potatoes!) and then headed to Ashley Furniture. We got there and found out they had a sale going. For purchases over $999, they would discount double the sales tax! I bought the rocker/recliner we saw before and John found a sleeper sofa he really liked, finally! And with the sale we saved over $200! The sleeper sofa is getting delivered next weekend and my chair will be delivered the weekend after that. I will never leave Baby Z's room once I get that chair :-) I was able to relax at home for a half hour and then it was time to meet my co-worker Kathy at the Fox lot to see "Date Night". Unfortunately, Kathy got there late so I never saw her. She grabbed a seat in the back row since the theater was dark and the movie had started when she got there. So once again I went to a movie solo, yay me! The movie had a very stupid storyline but I love Tina Fey and Steve Carrell so much that I was laughing almost the entire time. After a very busy day, I was happy to get home and just sit on the couch all night and work on the knitted dragonfly washcloth for Baby Z.
Chair for Baby Z's room

John's sleeper sofa

Today we went on a tour of Little Company, where Baby Z will be born. We were VERY impressed! The hospital is very modern looking and clean but doesn't have that hospital smell. I don't know if you all know what I'm talking about but I hate that hospital smell. Just entering a hospital gives me a stomach ache because of that awful disinfectant smell. But the first thing I noticed was this hospital does not smell like that at all! I'm feeling so much better about my labor experience because I hate hospitals but I never felt uncomfortable once while on the tour. We saw one of the labor, delivery and recovery rooms and they are also very nice with a fold out couch for the Dad to sleep on. John said he wanted to stay in the room with me (I wasn't going to force him, hehehe) so I'm glad he'll have a comfortable place to sleep. Even better, in 8 years they have never had to have patients share a room. We also found out that all care for Baby Z will be done by my bedside unless Baby Z has health problems. And Baby Z can be in my room the entire time if I want...but I'm thinking I'll want Baby Z in the nursery at night so I can enjoy my sleep while I can. We passed by the nursery and the nurse showed us a beautiful baby girl that was in there. John couldn't help smiling at the adorable 2 day old baby girl :-) It made me that much more excited to finally meet Baby Z! They also have a photographer that will take pictures of the baby, and us and the baby, in the hospital the day after the birth. They will put the pictures up online for free and then we can pay for any prints we want. They recently remodeled the NICU unit and it's very nice. If Baby Z needs extra care, I know they can provide the best. I didn't have a choice in my delivery hospital but I'm so happy that is where my OBGYN delivers! I couldn't be happier with the facility. Now I'm trying to build up some energy to clean the house. It's been a very busy weekend!
*Hmm, not sure why the pictures are cut off....I'm still learning how to work this blog.
I love john's fear about cone-shaped baby head. The instructor must have loved (or despised?) him for his unusual baby questions, haha. Your chair looks so comfy! Can't even tell it's a rocker!
ReplyDeleteI think she was amused with his questions :-) And she was the one that brought up how ugly newborns are, lol. Although the 2 day old baby girl we saw was pretty darn cute! All the Moms and Dads in the tour group were smiling at her.
ReplyDeleteI like the chair because it doesn't look like a "baby" chair. We can use it in another room when Baby Z grows up and we need more space in his/her room.