Monday, May 16, 2011

Mommy's Day Off

Yesterday, I had the perfect excuse to leave Joslyn with Daddy for a few hours. My friend Lil from college was graduating from law school and I wanted to be there to support her. Not only does she have a law degree now, she also has a master's degree and did it all while working full time and has paid for everything herself. I'm so ridiculously proud of her and had to be there to celebrate her accomplishment. And let's be honest, I really needed a day off. I rarely take a day just for me. It's not that mind. I work all week and on the weekends I want to spend the time I do have with my two favorite people, Joslyn and my wonderful husband. But Mommy needed a little "me" time. Even though John is still getting over the flu (5 days and counting, poor guy!), he still took care of Joslyn so I could go out and enjoy myself.  My BFF Lisa met up at our house so we could go the graduation together.  It was at our old college campus and it's so much fun going back there.  We had a lot of happy times there and the memories come back as soon as I step on campus.  I was an idiot and forgot to put on sunblock so I'm rocking some very interesting burns but it was nice to be out in the sun and watch my friend get her degree.  After the graduation, I stopped at home to nurse Joslyn and put her down for a nap (she did not want to nap for Daddy) and then Lisa and I headed over to Trader Vic's in the Beverly Hilton Hotel.  I got an appetizer, a glass of wine and enjoyed catching up with my friends and meeting a few of Lillian's friends while sitting poolside. It was a good time.  I need times like that to recharge my battery.  Soon it was time to go because I wanted to get home in time for our bedtime ritual, bath, book, nurse and rock to sleep, and I missed my baby while I was gone.  And that smile she gave me when I got home melted my heart.  It's nice getting away for the day but it's better going home when that smile greets me at the door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment