The Thursday night before Christmas, Jack woke up for his middle of the night feeding and was making this awful noise when he took a breath or coughed. He had a slight fever the day before but the noise he was making completely freaked me out. I didn't sleep much that night. The next morning his fever was even higher so off to the pediatrician we went to get him checked out. He was diagnosed with another ear infection (even though his ears were clear the day before!) and put on an inhaler because his oxygen levels were low. The pediatrician brought up the word croup but since he didn't make the sound while he was in the office she couldn't officially diagnose him but there is no doubt in my mind that's what it was since he was making the classic barking cough sound. The whole day he was pretty miserable. He would play for a few minutes and then he would crawl over to me and cuddled with me for most of the day (very rare for him!). Luckily, his fever broke during the night and after a day of breathing treatments, his cough sounded a lot better. I thought we had gotten over the sickness hump just in time to celebrate Christmas...but I celebrated a little too soon.
By Tuesday night, Jos started making that same awful sound when she coughed and on Christmas Eve day she got a fever. A fever with Jos is a whole different ballgame since we were told she could have febrile seizures until age 5 if her fever gets above 102. Oh and did I mention she absolutely hates taking medicine?! She gets herself so worked up when we even mention it and gags at the slightest taste of it. We had to hold her down to give her Tylenol and even then most of it ended up on us and her. By the end of the day, I was crying while making dinner because I hated having to hold my kid down while she screamed and I couldn't believe another Christmas at home was being ruined by sickness! I remembered that the pediatrician mentioned Tylenol suppositories when I told her how difficult it was to give Jos medicine so John ran out to CVS to get some. That was the only way we got her to take medicine all day! We tried to make the best of it and opened presents, sprinkled reindeer food in the front yard and made a cookie plate for Santa. Jack and Jos also got a special delivery from the North Pole, Christmas pjs and a new book. I was just praying that Jos would wake up fever-free in the morning so she could enjoy Christmas day.
Enjoying his ham and broccoli dinner.
Finally it was time to open some presents.
Jack mostly liked eating the paper.
Special delivery from the North Pole!
Jos's pjs and book. Of course she couldn't wear them since we were worried about her overheating at night :(
Making a plate for Santa and the reindeer.
Santa made a visit to our house!

Jos woke up Christmas Day fever-free and that was the best gift I could have received! We opened presents and had a nice, relaxing day at home. My brother Darin and his girlfriend Malia came over for dinner that night and then we opened more presents. It was nice to have some family with us!
It was a very My Little Pony Christmas for Jos.
Santa brought a present for Daddy and Jos.
Jos happily helped Jack open his presents.
Playing with your new toys is the best part about Christmas morning!
My cuties in their Christmas pjs. I had to have Jos put them on for pictures ;)
Hmm, so that's Christmas?

Our annual Christmas morning pj picture. I only got one shot this year. It cracks me up how Abby looks tortured, Jos has a fake smile and is showing her underwear. But that's our life...far from perfect but I wouldn't change it for anything!
Jos got an Aurora ornament this year.
And Jack got Jack Skellington :)
Jack was very happy with all his new cars!

Our Christmas didn't end there. The next day, my mom and brother Brian arrived and we had another Christmas with them. We opened presents and my mom brought La Villa raviolis for dinner!
Daddy had to get Jos this marker making kit after they saw it on YouTube :)
MORE PRESENTS!
My mom made Jack a stocking for her house, with sailboats!
Our goal is to make my mom cry with our gift. Mission accomplished! She loved the 50s chairs we got her for her new house!
Showing Uncle B how to play the My Little Pony game he got her.
I looked around our living room filled with family and thought that no matter what happened before, our Christmas was perfect because it was filled with so much love!














































No comments:
Post a Comment