At 8:03am on March 3rd, 2014, you came into my life and changed it forever. Where has this year gone? It feels like just yesterday the nurse was putting you into my arms and the empty place in my heart was filled. You came into our world and completed our family. I knew as soon as I looked at your face that you were going to be my last baby and I had to soak in every minute. Did I do that? I don't know but I tried my hardest. It wasn't always easy and I worry you got the raw end of the deal because by being a second kid, you never got my full, undivided attention. You challenged me in different ways and reminded me that when it comes to parenting, I still have so much to learn. You were such a good baby from the beginning, as if you were warming me up to the idea of having two children. You were so easy going and didn't mind being dragged here and there for your sister's activities. As the months passed, you became more challenging at night but even in my most frustrated moments, you would smile at me. You're so forgiving of my shortcomings as a parent. When you call me "mama" everything else goes away and I forget how hard this job is because it's all worth it. I cherish those moments when it's just you and me. When you put your head on my shoulder as I'm rocking you to sleep or in those rare moments when you decide to sit still for a moment and cuddle with me on the couch. You never stop moving, love to cause destruction and bang things together (or on the floor!) to make noise. You also love to wrestle and have already started climbing things. I think you will keep me on my toes and wish I could wrap you in bubble wrap! You may not sleep through the night yet and I'm more exhausted than I have ever been in my life but you give me so much more than the sleep that I've lost. You have a smile that can light up a room and my heart swells every time I hear your laugh and watch you play with your sister. Thank you for letting me be your mommy. It's the best job I've ever had.
Love, Mommy
(March 3, 2015)

No comments:
Post a Comment