Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Joslyn's Birth Story

All day Thursday, I couldn't wait for 4pm to come along so we could go to the hospital and meet Baby Z! It didn't help that I could only have breakfast that day and all I could think about is I wouldn't have anything substantial to eat until Saturday. Not eating 3 meals a day is my worst fear. My Mom came to LA the night before and my Dad flew in that afternoon so I had everyone there that I wanted and I was ready to get the show on the road! At 3:30pm, John and I got in the car and made our way to Little Company of Mary. My Mom took one last picture of us as a baby-free couple. We got to the hospital and went the same room that we had 3 NST tests done and had spent many hours sitting in. But this time it would be the room to get me prepared to finally meet our baby! John was very excited when he got a set of scrubs to wear and asked if he could take them home. My Mom, Dad and brother Darin showed up and we all sat in the room waiting for word that it was time for the c-section. 6pm came along and no Dr. We were all sitting around talking about anything and everything so we wouldn't keep glancing at the clock. The pre-game for the Lakers and Celtics game was on and I was watching it just to get my mind off the clock. My brother came in and found it hilarious that I had basketball on. It always seems like important events in my life happen during sporting events. I had to change it to TMZ because I didn't want my last memory before having my baby to be of basketball. Finally at 6:30p, the nurse came in and said it was time to go. Everyone said goodbye and my Dad looked really nervous. I think he was scared about his little girl having any type of surgery. My Dad wouldn't tell us if he thought it was a boy or girl my entire pregnancy but right before I left, he said he thought it was a girl. John had to wait outside the room while I got my spinal. At this point, I got a little nervous because the room looked so surgical and John wasn't there with me. But the spinal didn't hurt at all and soon my entire body was going numb. Then they let John in and asked him if he wanted a stool. I think I said, "Yes, a stool would be better". The nurse asked if it was a boy if we were going to name him Kobe. John made it clear we were Celtics fans. Not even the birth of my child can happen without a sports reference! I couldn't see a thing because of the screen in front of me but John let me know what was going on. All I could hear was the voices of the nurses, Dr. and the anesthesiologist constantly asking me if I was ok and the occasional tugging and pulling. I asked John if he was ready and he said, "Yes, ready to find out it's a boy...or a girl". In what felt like an instant, the Dr. was saying congratulations and asking John if he saw a boy or a girl. He said, "I think it's a girl" and the nurse confirmed it was indeed a baby girl. I couldn't believe it! My first words were, "We were both wrong". I heard her crying and saw John holding up the Flip camera recording her getting checked out by the nurses. Then the nurse asked if John wanted to cut the cord and he said, "No, it's ok". They asked him the name and he said, "John" and then they said, "No for the baby". Joslyn Anastasia Maria. She has a long name but I couldn't imagine not naming her after both of our grandmas that passed away while I was pregnant. It was like they sent her to us. Then I looked up to see John holding her. It was love at first sight! I could see tears in his eyes, he said she had my dimple chin and came over to give me a kiss through his surgical mask. Then they put her in my arms. I know everyone thinks this about their baby but she was the most beautiful baby I have ever seen! I told her I was sorry I called her a him so many times and said "So you're the one that's been kicking me all this time". After staring at her beautiful face for awhile, it was time to take her to the nursery. I had told John before to go with her so we made sure we got the right baby. They closed me up and then I was taken to a recovery room. My Mom came in with tears in her eyes and said, "She's so beautiful!". Then John came in with Joslyn and he looked so happy. He looked like he never wanted to put her down. He told me how much she weighed, 6lbs 3.8oz, and said she was sucking her thumb a lot in the nursery and even sucked on his finger. I asked him if he sent out the text because I knew many people were anxious to hear the news. He did send it out but the location we were in at the hospital had awful reception so hardly any of them went through. He did call his parents because he promised to call them before sending out a text. I grabbed his iPhone and there in the recovery room, I updated my Facebook status with the news. I couldn't wait to let everyone know about our newest addition to the family. My Dad came in a little later and just sat there and stared at Joslyn. I don't think he could believe that his little girl now had a baby girl. After about an hour, I was ready to move to my room. They rolled me over there with John following behind with Joslyn. Visiting hours were ending so my Mom, Dad and Darin came in one last time to say goodbye and said they would see us tomorrow. That first night was the hardest. I was recovering from the surgery and Joslyn was up most of the night. I think we both looked like zombies the next day. But the sleepless night was worth it because I couldn't stop staring at her! I don't know where she got the light brown hair and blue eyes (although the may change) but I think she looks like me with my dimple chin, long fingers and skinny feet. She doesn't have much hair but she has the cutest little tuft of hair in the back. We call it her mullet, hehehe. And John was amazing....I couldn't move from the bed so he had to do everything. He was an instant super Daddy. He was so calm with her and couldn't stop kissing her. He admitted that he was very happy she was a girl. I also started breastfeeding and was amazed how quickly Joslyn learned to latch. She is a sucker! It helped that John is incredibly supportive of me breastfeeding. He would sit there next to me at every feeding and had to wake up every time because I couldn't get Joslyn out of the bassinet myself.
The next day, I wasn't feeling much pain at all. My Mom, Dad and Darin came to visit again and in between visitors, we tried to get a little sleep. My Mom couldn't help going shopping that morning for girly clothes and got the cutest onesie that said, "Daddy's Girl". A very true statement! She also gave me a gift that my Auntie Edna gave her. She actually gave her a boy and girl gift so she was covered either way. My Mom admitted the girl outfit was a lot cuter, a pink Izod shirt with matching white shorts with little whales on them. The poor girl is going to be wearing a lot of pink but the outfits are adorable. My Dad had to get back to San Jose because of a few jobs they were in the middle of so he said his goodbyes and made his way to the airport. I was so ready to get out of that bed but I didn't get the catheter removed until later in the day so I had to stay put. The best part was getting the IV removed. That was my least favorite thing about the c-section. John kept saying all day that he never wanted to put Joslyn down and could stare at her all day. I felt the same way! It's amazing you can have so much love for such a little person. Joslyn got her hearing test done and passed with flying colors. We had one last visit that night from Lisa and Alex. I loved seeing the look on my BFF's face when she saw Joslyn for the first time. Of course, we told Alex and Lisa they needed to get started because Joslyn needs a friend :-) Joslyn knew Mommy and Daddy were tired so she gave us a little more sleep that night.
On Saturday, the pediatrician came to check her out and was concerned that she had peed only one. She said she was worried about dehydration and recommended we supplement with formula. The nurse on duty that day was amazing (actually all the nurses were great) and she stood up for us and said it was ridiculous to be suggesting formula already since I wanted to breastfeed. She said it was normal my milk had not come in yet and Joslyn was getting plenty of nutrition from my colostrum. And right when the pediatrician left the room, we realized that Joslyn had peed so we decided to not supplement with formula. But she did tell me I had to be better with the regularity of the feedings. I was not good on Friday about waking her up to feed. I felt like such a mean Mommy waking her up from her peaceful slumber! I was also frustrated because she nursed great on my left side but had trouble with the right. The nurse gave me some advice and I was determined to work on it. I knew she had a good latch and we just had to find the right position. My job for the day was feeding Joslyn and getting up to walk a couple times in the halls. I was still feeling good, just slightly uncomfortable, but I decided to take some motrin so keep any bad pain from coming on. John, Joslyn and I took our first walk down the halls and ran into my brother Brian and his girlfriend Lauren. They drove down for the weekend because they were anxious to meet Joslyn. And they brought the cutest shoes ever, a pair of pink checkered slip on Vans! I can't wait until she can wear them. Brian couldn't wait to hold his niece and it was very cute to watch him with her. Everyone that met her agreed she was the cutest baby they had ever seen. The bandage on my incision was removed later in the day and I could finally take a shower. That was the best shower I have ever taken in my life! I felt so much better after it. Joslyn got weighed again that night and we were told she had lost even more weight and was in danger of being admitted to NICU if she lost anymore. After discussing my concerns about supplementing with formula with the nurse and what would happen if Joslyn didn't stop losing weight, we made the choice to breastfeed first and then give her formula. I would only do this until my milk came in. I hated giving her formula because I was worried it would sidetrack breastfeeding but the nurse assured me if I breastfed first, it would be fine. John and I of course we were worried because we didn't want to leave the hospital without her and you don't want to hear that your baby may have to be taken to NICU. We did breastfeeding and formula starting that night and all day the next day and she was eating really well. We just hoped that she would at least stay the same weight the next night so we could take her home on Monday.
By Sunday, I was so ready to go home. The nurses were wonderful but it's annoying when someone enters your room every couple hours, even while you're trying to sleep, to take your vital signs. I will not be sad if I never see a blood pressure cuff again! Although it was nice to hear from the nurses when they checked my incision that I had such a flat stomach already. One said, "Go Mommy", lol. John was also tired of eating fast food. The hospital food actually wasn't that bad. But it may be because I could only eat Jell-O for the first day so anything tasted good after that. Brian and Lauren stopped by one last time to see us before they drove back to San Jose. I'm sure we'll see them soon. Joslyn has 4 uncles that I'm sure are going to be very protective of her. No boy is going to be able to come near her! We were worried all day about Joslyn weighing enough to go home the next day. That night they weighted her again and we found out she actually gained .4 ounces. Yay Joslyn! One of the nurses called her a little peanut and that's exactly what they called me when I was little. I had the same problem with gaining weight and my Mom told me she would have to rub a wet cloth on my face to make me wake up to eat. I hate having to wake a sleeping baby but I'll do it to make sure my baby is healthy. My Dr. stopped in that night to see if I was feeling ok. I told her I was feeling great and she said she would sign my discharge papers for the next day and asked me to go to her office on Wednesday to remove the staples. Early Monday morning, my milk came in so I could finally stop giving her formula. All my worries about giving her formula were unfounded because she did better than ever that day feeding and finally took to the right breast as well as the left. The pediatrician came in one last time to check her and said she would sign the discharge papers for her. I really did not like that woman. She's not our pediatrician but was assigned to us since our pediatrician is not affiliated with the hospital. I read the copy of her report that we were given and she said, "the mother claims her milk came in". Um, I think I know when my milk has come in! But all I cared about is that we were going home that day! When the nurse came in that morning, we asked her when we could go home and she said as soon as she started the paperwork. We asked her to start it right now. We couldn't wait to take our baby girl home! It was weird to finally put on real clothes because I was in a hospital gown for the last 3 days. We put Joslyn in her going away outfit, the first outfit that Grandma Sue bought for her when I was only a couple months pregnant, packed up all our stuff and waited for my wheelchair to take us down to the car. John was holding Joslyn and I thanked him for giving me her and he said, "thank you". He mentioned earlier that the little things that used to bother him before don't matter anymore. All that matters is her. I knew he would be an amazing Dad but he has been more amazing than I ever imagined! The wheelchair finally got there and we were ready to hit the road! Joslyn looked so tiny in her car seat and she slept the entire way home. We pulled up and Grandma Sue was there to greet us. Abby was also there to meet her new sister. John picked her up at the boarder the night before so she could get comfortable and home before we got back. He brought home a t-shirt from the hospital and a hat so Abby could get used to Joslyn's smell. We brought her in and Abby was so curious about her. She sniffed her and started licking her feet. She was in love. The entire day she followed her wherever she went. I can already tell that they will be best friends. It was so nice to be home again and show Joslyn her room and nurse her in my chair. My brother Darin came over for a visit, Grandma Sue cooked dinner and we gave Joslyn her first bath. And it felt so good to sleep in our own bed again, even if it was only for a couple hours at a time :-)

Getting ready

Daddy loved his scrubs






Telling Grandpa and Grandma Z the news

Our 1st family picture.

Grandpa V stared at her.
Meeting Auntie Lisa and Uncle Alex
Meeting Uncle Brian
Meeting Uncle Darin

with Grandma Sue
We left a note for the best nurses ever!
Ready to go home!
Family!





1st bath



2 comments:

  1. What a great story! You are so brave, and it sounds like it was so easy. I'm sure it wasn't, but I think motherhood makes you let go of things like pain and frustration when you have gorgeous Joslyn. Can't wait to see more pictures and hear about your first few days at home! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Janelle. This is beautiful.

    I agree with Kace. You made it sound easy breezy!

    PS- You and John make pretty babies. :)

    ReplyDelete