Thursday, September 30, 2010

Joslyn's First Trip!

It was an extremely busy trip home but so much fun to show Joslyn off to everyone! I think her head is getting a little big from hearing “she’s beautiful” so much :-) Joslyn did really well considering it was her first time away from home and she rarely napped. Her nap schedule flew out the window because we were always on the go. She would usually take a short nap in the morning, then maybe fall asleep in the car on the way to our next stop but the times we were at my Mom’s house and I tried to put her down to sleep, she didn’t want to fall asleep. I think there was too much going on and too many new things to look at. But she was in a good mood the majority of the time and we made the most of our trip. I don’t think I could have given my Mom a better birthday present than time with her granddaughter, and me too I guess :-) I just love watching them together. Joslyn smiles every time she hears my Mom’s voice and it warms my heart to see the way my Mom looks at her. So here’s a recap of our busy schedule!

Thursday:
Everything started out well. She was really happy when we got to the airport and all the way to the gate. It was nice to get all the privilages that come with traveling with a baby. We got to skip the ID check line, take a special elevator and go to a shorter security line for families. A woman in the security line even commented on how good Joslyn was doing since she was sitting in her stroller happy as can be. And everyone was quick to help me since they saw I was traveling alone with a baby. A TSA agent offered to hold her while I folded up the stroller at security and a man on my flight folded up the stroller for me and put it in the bag when we got to the gate. He also said I was doing a great job so far. I think everyone that saw me was amazed I was traveling alone with such a young baby. I have no fear, lol. When we got on the plane, she happily played with Mr. Octopus and then we took off. I tried to nurse her but she got really upset and did not want to eat. I thought she was just overstimulated so I closed the window and covered her with my nursing cover but that just made her more upset. So I gave up and put the pacifier in because I was worried about her ears popping. Then she started getting really upset. I’m not sure if it was because her ears were bothering her or she was was just tired. It had been a couple hours since she took a nap and when she’s tried, she’s not happy. Good thing it’s only an hour flight! She did fall asleep just as we landed. The guy next to me said his son does that on every flight too. I guess she just wore herself out. I started to worry when we got to my Mom’s house because Joslyn still wouldn’t eat. It had been over 3 hours since she last ate and she normally doesn’t go more than 2 hours without eating if she’s not sleeping. This girl always wants to eat! I was ready to send my Mom to the store for formula and bottles because I was willing to try anything to get her to eat. I thought maybe it was because she was overstimulated so I decided to take her into the closet where it was dark and calm her down. I sang to her and rocked her fora little bit and that did the trick! She finally ate and then took a short nap. After she was done with her nap, we headed over to my grandparents house for dinner to celebrate my grandpa’s birthday. Joslyn got to meet her great aunt Susie, cousins Stacey and Eric and Auntie Edna (aka Nenna). My brother Brian was also there. It’s so cute to watch him with her. My brother was never a baby person but that changed when my cousin had a baby and he’s great with Joslyn. I’m so happy we decided to ask him to be the godfather. I can tell already that he’s going to watch over her. Joslyn is very lucky to have 4 protective uncles. Joslyn took a little nap in her travel bed (Brian called it her suitcase, lol) so I got to eat dinner with my family without her in my hands. When she woke up, we played a little in the museum. We call my grandparents’ living room the museum because no one ever goes in there. I joke that I should buy them a red velvet rope and a little sign that says “living room as it was in the 1950’s”. But Joslyn actually got to play in there! Times they are a changing. We headed back to my Mom’s house and Joslyn went to bed at her normal 12a time and woke up at 6:30 so I guess sleeping a suitcase didn’t effect her sleeping pattern.

Playing with Mr. Octopus at the gate


She started off happy




With Uncle Brian and the birthday dinner for my grandpa and Mom


Friday:
My Mom had to go to work in the morning and then her work friend had us all over to her house for lunch. Everyone from work wanted to meet Joslyn. It was so sweet of her to plan a lunch and it was fun to meet the people that my Mom talks about often. Lunch was delicious and one of the women brought the most amazing dessert. It was a Paula Dean recipe so pretty much pure butter, lol. I couldn’t stop eating them! Joslyn got a little fussy towards the end of lunch so I went to a bedroom and fed her and then she was happy until we left. Joslyn was screaming her head off when we got in the car but fell asleep as we were driving to a family friend’s house to stop by and say hi. Those little cat naps in the car did wonders for her mood. We were able to stop at Joann’s house and spend a little time with her and her grandson. Then it was back to my Mom’s house to try to get Joslyn to take a nap but she was not having it. She played on her play mat while we ate leftovers for dinner and then she was being really fussy so we decided to take a little walk to downtown Willow Glen. I love that my Mom’s house is in walking distance. It was a beautiful night and it was nice to get out and enjoy it.

Hanging out with grandma, love this picture!




Uh Mom, who is this kid and why is he playing with Mr. Octopus


Saturday:
It was a very busy day! My Mom made delicious sweet bread french toast for breakfast and then my friend Katie came over in the afternoon. We walked to downtown Willow Glen again and had lunch at a pizza place. It was fun to introduce Joslyn to Katie. Katie is one of my oldest friends. We went to school together from 1st grade until 12th and we have that type of friendship that even if we don’t see each other or talk to each other often, we just pick up where we left off. It was great catching up with her. After lunch with Katie, I tried to get Joslyn to take a nap but again, she wouldn’t go to sleep so I decided to put her in the car and head to my Uncle Manuel’s surprise party. She fell asleep as soon as we got on the freeway. I was parking the car and I hear “cousin!”. I barely make it out of the car and my cousin Lia and Steve are coming towards the car to meet Joslyn. I think Lia wanted to get her hands on her before the aunts saw her :-) Joslyn had just woken up and she was very confused about what was going on since all these people were staring at her. She needs to get used to lots of people...we have a BIG family! Joslyn got to meet her cousins, her great aunts and her great uncles on my Dad’s side of the family. My uncle Manual was so surprised to see us. It was fun to see everyone and they were all so excited to meet Joslyn. She’s the first girl cousin, all my other cousins had boys. It was super hot that day and Joslyn was getting cranky because she hadn’t really napped so we only stayed about an hour and then headed back to my Mom’s. That night was my Mom’s surprise party. They used Joslyn as an excuse to get her to my Uncle Johnny and Aunt Lorraine’s house. We get to the house and they even had a sign up that said “Welcome Baby Joslyn” to throw her off :-) She opened the door and everyone was standing there saying surprise. She didn’t see it coming! I think she was very touched that they planned such a special night and that everyone came to celebrate her birthday. And of course she had fun introducing everyone on her side of the family to Joslyn. It was a really long day and Joslyn started to get fussy towards the end of the night. I took her into a room to feed her and try to get her to sleep so my Mom could enjoy her party for a little longer. She took a little cat nap and played for awhile but then she hit her limit and it was time to go. But she did so well for such a busy day!

On our walk with Katie

Katie and Joslyn


Arriving at Uncle Manuel's party...who are all these people?!


with cousin Lia


with great aunt Lilly

with cousin Christina




Playing at grandma's


at grandma's surprise party


Sunday:
No plans! But that didn’t make Joslyn want to nap. I think she wanted to enjoy every minute she had left with grandma :-) One last stop to see our family friend Mary and to say goodbye to my grandparents and then we headed to the airport. Joslyn was already upset in the car because she was tired so I was not looking forward to the flight. We found out when we flew out of LA that a person could come with me to the gate to help out since I was travelling alone with a baby so my Mom came with us to help me with the stroller since Joslyn did not want me to put her in it and wanted to be carried the whole time. I kept her happy at the gate, she had a crying fit when we got on the plane and then fell asleep as soon as we took off and slept until we landed. And then had another little crying fit. But I think she did really well on her first plane flights and I think she’ll only get better the more we do it. John was there to pick us up at the airport. It was nice for the family to be back together. I think he enjoyed his bachelor weekend, with a poker party on Friday night and a BBQ on Saturday, but he also really missed us :-) We really wore Joslyn out on the trip because we gave her a bath and then she fell asleep for good at 9:30 and didn’t make a peep until 6:30!

This picture makes me laugh. It looks like she's trying to get far away from all the 49er gear, lol.
Tummy time at grandma's


with Mary

Heading home!

No comments:

Post a Comment