Monday, May 13, 2013

Relay for Life

My family participates in the Santa Clara American Cancer Society's Relay for Life every year but it had been 4 years since I participated. Last January, my grandpa died just days after being diagnosed with esophagus cancer so it made the cause even more important to me.  I decided to join Team Hope again this year and bring Jos along with me. In spite of a spectacular no nap meltdown by Jos late Saturday night just before the luminaria ceremony, it was a great weekend with our family.  I didn't walk as many miles this year (6 miles for me and 3 miles for Jos) and I didn't get to see the luminaria ceremony but Jos and I were surrounded by family all weekend as we remembered those we have lost and celebrated those that have beat this horrible disease.  The trip became even more significant when 4 days after leaving, my grandma passed away.  I will cherish those last moments that Jos and I had with her.  It was as if she was waiting to see us one last time before she let go and went to be with my grandpa.

This girl loves to fly. 

Opening ceremony.  

A soccer break.  

Jos loved the drums.


Aunt Lorraine walking her survivor lap!
Walking our 1st lap around the track.  

Taking a lap with Uncle Duck and Malia 
 Jos went through about 3 bottles of bubbles.  They never cease to be entertaining to her.

Bubbles with Uncle Duck and Uncle Johnny.  
This girl has natural athletic ability. I joke that being an athlete will be her act of rebellion because I hate sports ;p


She even wanted to get in on the hula hoop contest.


Bubbles with her cousin Aliyah.  
 My mom bought a Cinderella kite for Jos and the weather was perfect for kite flying!


Uncle Duck taught her to say Rock On!
 




I love when they start lighting the luminaria bags.  It's my favorite time to take a couple laps by myself to look at all the names.


Jos and I took home our beads that counted every lap and the memories of an amazing weekend with our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment