Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Toddler French Toast Sticks

My daughter is a carb-aholic.  Sweet bread, waffles, French toast, bagels, pancakes.  She loves it all.  So when I saw this recipe for French Toast Sticks, I knew I had to make them for her. 

Ingredients you need:


30 slices whole wheat bread
1/4 cup butter, melted
8 eggs
1/3 cupssugar
1 1/3 cups milk (I used whole)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butternut squash puree (could also use sweet potato, pumpkin or acorn squash) *I used Libby's pumpkin puree since I didn't have any purees left from my baby food making days.  But if you're still making baby food purees, use whatever you have in the freezer.

What you do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice bread slices into thirds. In a large bowl mix all ingredients except sliced bread. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Dip bread pieces, one by one, in the batter until coated and then place on the cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes turning over half-way through to ensure even cooking on both sides. When done, remove to cooling rack. Serve or freeze.

Ready to go in the oven.
All done!
Freezing Directions:
Allow to cool on cooling rack completely or place on a cool cookie sheet and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes or until partially frozen (flash freezing). Place in Ziploc freezer bag and place in freezer until ready to use. To serve: microwave 30-45 seconds.

Servings:
90 sticks ~30 “toddler” servings

Watch your carb-aholic daughter devour the toast. 
She likes to dip it in yogurt too.

1 comment: