Friday, June 15, 2012

Joslyn Turns 2!

I spent months planning this party in my head and countless hours making pinwheel after pinwheel.  Let's just say I went a little crazy with Joslyn's pinwheel-themed 2nd birthday party so I was really hoping it wouldn't be one of those parties that did not live up to the hype.  It was even better than I had imagined it could be!  I think it's safe to say it was our best party yet.

Some of my favorite things.

  • The ice cream cone cake pops. A friend had pinned this idea for me and my mom and I talked about how we were going to make them for months. We agonized over how to display them (I will save you time. Just stick the cone into some styrofoam covered with cute paper.).  They were truly even better than the original picture I pinned! Once again, my fabulous baker (my MOM!) came through with creating my vision.  
  • The photo booth pictures.  We had a photo booth last year and very few guests took pictures in it.  But this year I was ruthless and hunted everyone down and got them in there.  I LOVE these pictures! I will cherish them always.  
  • The pinwheels, worth every second that I spent on them!  There were everywhere, outside greeting guests, stuck to candy jars, placed in root beer mugs for centerpieces, surrounding the backyard, and I loved every one of them.  I kept a couple to decorate my house, gave some to the kids to take home and then donated the rest to my MOMS club for the 4th of July Parade.  My hard work did not go to waste :)
  • The root beer/coke float bar.  I'm not sure how many people actually made one but I had two and they were delicious! I loved how it brought this vintage malt shop feel to the theme of the party.  
  • All of the printables, designed by my amazing friend Carm who has created every Christmas card and birthday invite since Joslyn was born.  This time I twisted her arm to do more and she came up with the best designs for all the little details I love so much!  My favorite were the cup labels, favor tags and the pennant banner.  
  • Joslyn dancing to 50's music before all her guests arrived, spinning in circles in her birthday dress.    
  • Watching Joslyn play with all her friends. She was running around the whole party, almost like she was making sure her guests were having a good time.  She's already playing hostess, made me very proud.  
  • John and Joslyn blowing candles out together.  My Dad and I have birthdays two days apart and one of my favorite pictures is of us blowing out candles together.  It makes me happy that Joslyn and her Daddy will always have that special bond of having birthdays 1 day apart.  
Our amazingly talented friend Helen (of Helen Thompson Photography) offered to take pictures for us and she captured the party so well I don't think I need many words to describe it.  When I received the pictures it was like reliving the day all over again!  Which was great because the only negative of the party was that it went by way too fast.  I love taking pictures but not having to carry my camera that day was wonderful. I can honestly say that I actually enjoyed myself. I wasn't frantic and worried about every detail. I could relax and just talk to my guests.  It was freeing!  I can't possible thank her enough for capturing all the special moments and details of the party that I will remember always!  


We used these candy jars at our wedding :)

Bubbles and kazoos for the kids.

Pixie stick pinwheels

Pinwheels for the guests to take home.  

I loved how this picture garland came out!
I still have it hanging up in our entryway.

The kids' favor bags.
LOVE the tags Carm designed!

The candy and toy favors table.  


The float and dessert table.  

The amazing ice cream cone cake pops...
made mostly by my mom with my assistance :)

The cup labels had a "J" in the center of the pinwheel. 

Balloon cookies, so easy to make and delicious!
They were the most popular dessert item.  

Joslyn's cake

One of the pinwheels in the planters in the backyard.


My Mom made this dress, complete with J buttons! 

We had a bubble station set up.

And a photo booth!

I made sure no one escaped the photo booth this year.  

Greeting her guests.

Uncle B and a sucker, life is good!

The kids decorated pinwheels,
and I put them together when they were done.

She loved the popcorn on the tables.

John manning the grill.

Dancing with Uncle D!

She loved pouring bubbles in the cup. 

My girl is growing up so fast!

She was focused on blowing out that candle.  

I did it!


She dug right in. 

"I get all of this, right?"

We didn't forget Daddy's birthday.
LOVE this picture of them!





Ripping through her presents. 
Everything was perfect, but more importantly it was a really fun day surrounded by our friends and family and Joslyn had so much fun!

1 comment: