Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm in a moms club

I never thought I would say that.  I don't talk about the club that much but it's a big part of my life in our new city.  I was cautious about joining a moms club since I'm not really the club type and I had a bad experience with another group where I used to live.  I asked to be part of their club when I was at home with an infant and reaching out for help and they told me they only accept moms that don't work full time, grr. Working moms need support too!  But I went to the open house for the local MOMS club and I met some nice, completely normal women so I decided to give it a try (and I would like to note, we have working moms in our club too!).  Over the last few months of me joining, Jos and I have gotten out and experienced so many wonderful things that our new city has to offer and I've met some women that I would be friends with even if we weren't in the club together.  We're all just regular moms trying to get through the day and be the best parents we can be.  We don't judge each other and we talk openly about what it's like to be a mom, warts and all.  I have only been in the group 6 months but I've made, I think, lasting friendships and Jos has started creating new friendships too.  I don't regret stepping out of my box for the first time and embracing a new experience!

Not only am I member of the group but now I'm also the moms' night out coordinator and the club party planner.  It's crazy that 7 months ago I wasn't even sure I wanted to join a moms group and now I'm a coordinator in it :)  I think it's so important for parents (moms AND dads) to get out and have time for themselves, to pursue things that they enjoy. It's so easy to get caught up in being a parent and lose sight of who you are but I don't want that to happen to me. It makes me a better mom to make room in my life for the things that I love.  That's why I happily took over the moms night out planning because the truth is I need time with adults. It's the thing I miss most about working because I need adult interaction and conversation!  I've had so much fun coming up with new things for us to do every month and I get excited when other members decide to join in on the fun. My goal is to convince all the moms that they DESERVE time away from the kids.  I also think it's the best way to get to know the other moms and form friendships.

Here are some of the nights I have planned so far.  I have events planned until January!
  • pedicures and manicures for Mother's Day
  • a bowling night
  • happy hour at a local restaurant
  • wine tasting at Whole Foods
  • ugly sweater party and bunco night for the holidays
  • outlet shopping day (can't wait for this one!!)
  • Oscar night, when we'll dress up in our red carpet looks and watch an Oscar winning film!
A few pictures of us enjoying our nights out! (I realized that I never take pictures at these events. I guess I'm having too much fun!)

Our annual MOMS Club dinner, with an awesome raffle!! I got tickets to the Discovery Museum!

Moms that bowl!

Last night, we had a crafting night. One of the moms showed us how to make felt flowers.

Our masterpieces

1 comment:

  1. So awesome! I'm so glad you found a group you love! I loved my group in san Jose and hope I find something like it here in Washington! Funny, I was one of the moms night coordinators in my group too! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete