Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Finger Painting Art

I don't know about you but I have hard time throwing away Joslyn's art work. I display a lot of it in the playroom but I can't fit everything on the wall so I also started a file folder to hold the extra drawings and paintings.  If I kept saving all of her art work, I would need a much bigger folder, and a much bigger house to store it all.  So I decided to take some of those random pieces of art work and make something out of it. I of course got my inspiration on Pinterest.  I picked up a 10x10 canvas a month or so ago at Hobby Lobby and decided that today was the day to do it!  Since I'm not really great at free forming anything, I went online and found a graphic of the flower shape I wanted.



Then I cropped it and blew it up so I could have one big flower instead of 3 flowers.  Next I gathered my supplies.

I spray painted the canvas yellow because I had 2 cans of spray paint leftover from my master bedroom projects.  Then I got to work cutting out petals.  My original plan was to cut out the pen/crayon scribbles but I didn't really like how it was looking and I loved the colors of one of her finger paintings so I decided to use that instead.  It was a big painting so I was able to cut enough petals out of it to make the entire flower.  After a little trial and error, I realized the easiest thing for me to do was to use my cutting board and lay the flower template I printed out on top of the finger painting and use my exacto knife to cut out the petals.  I also printed out another flower template so I could keep the petals in order after I cut them out. I'm type A :)


After I was done cutting out all the petals, I arranged them on the canvas and then glued them down once I was happy with the arrangement.  When the glue dried, I put two coats of Mod Podge on top.  Now I have a really great piece of graphic art to hang up made out of my little girl's finger painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment