Friday, April 22, 2011
Earth Day
It's Earth Day and I think it's important to take a moment and think about what you're doing to make the Earth a cleaner place. I can't say I'm completely green but I've tried to make changes in my life to make less of an environmental impact. Now that I have a child, I want to make sure she has a world to grow up in. So this Earth Day, I'm going to try to change one habit to be more green.
What I do now:
- Use reusable grocery bags
- Cloth diaper and use cloth wipes
- I bought microfiber towels to use on my Swiffer Sweeper instead of the disposable pads. I actually like them more!
- Use rags to clean instead of paper towels (although I can do better)
- Use natural cleaning supplies, love Trader Joe's Cedarwood and Sage Multi-purpose Cleaner. Smells great!
- Dryer balls instead of dryer sheets. Confession: I have started using dryer sheets with our clothes because I was getting a lot of static. I think I need to get some better dryer balls or more of them. But I buy way less dryer sheets than I used to.
- Linen napkins instead of paper napkins. I need to get more though because we don't have enough for the week.
- Use Yoreganic Soap Nuts for our cloth diaper laundry. Need to try it on our regular laundry too. I'm going to switch just as soon as I use up the last of my All Free and Clear.
- Make my own baby food (Is this green? I think yes so I'm adding it!)
- Try to buy organic meat, vegetables and fruit
- Recycle (It's pretty easy since our sanitation department supplies the recycle container.)
- I breastfeed (nothing more green or natural than breastfeeding, right?)
- Drink water out of a stainless steel bottle instead of using paper cups or plastic water bottles
What I want to do:
- Get rid of the Windex and wood cleaner. I try to buy more "natural" options but I can do better. Found this article with some great tips...but I'm still not sure what to use on wood furniture? Any tips?
- Make my own dishwasher detergent. I found this post about it a long time ago but haven't made it yet.
- Make my own laundry detergent. Same blogger wrote a post about that, got it from the Duggars!
- Cut down even more on paper towels and napkins. Maybe I'll buy some unpaper towels to celebrate Earth Day. These are so cute!
- Bring reusable bags when I go to other stores, like Target. I never think to use my bags there and I have another bag in my purse that I can use.
- Be brave and use cloth diapers, not disposables, when we travel. I'm a little scared to try this.
- Need to find a better solution to dusting than my Swiffer Duster. The rags don't cut it when it comes to dusting. I need something that attracts dust and dog hair. I guess I could try using the microfiber towels.
- Replace plastic storage containers with glass
- Use less Ziploc bags (I'm really intrigued by the reusable snack bags.)
- Thinking about using a CSA for fruit and produce, need to research this
- When I have a bigger yard for it, I want to plant a vegetable garden. And compost. Maybe set up a rain barrel too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yay! These are all great things! We have been doing most of these things too and I've recently been looking at making my own laundry detergent too. I've started using resusable baggies for some things and it makes a difference - I really like them and it's totally easy for small snacks on the go.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of using microfiber towel for the Swiffer Sweeper!! I'm totally going to do that too!
The microfiber towels work great! I believe I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond? But my Mom found some at TJMaxx too.
ReplyDeleteMy issue with ziploc bags is I use them for baby food for daycare so I don't think the reusable bags will work for that. I need to figure out a better way. Did you get your bags on Etsy?