Monday, October 10, 2011

Toddler Recipes

I'm always looking for new recipes that I can make in bulk and have ready in the freezer for a quick, healthy meal for Joslyn.  I picked up a box of Trader Joe's Chicken Drumettes and Joslyn loved them but even though they are an all natural version, I didn't want her eating them all the time.  I believe everything is fine in moderation but I wanted to find a healthier version that she would enjoy just as much.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and made some slight changes.  Joslyn loved them and they are easy to heat up out of the freezer. Win win!

Turkey and Veggie Nuggets
1 (14 oz.) package California Veggies, thawed
1 egg
1/2 lb. ground turkey (or ground chicken)
1 tsp. onion salt
2 c. panko bread crumbs
Salt & pepper to taste

Put the veggies and egg in a blender. Blend until pureed. Pour puree into a large bowl. Add the ground turkey and onion salt. Mix together with a fork until well mixed. On a large cutting board, spread a thin layer of the panko crumbs, salt and pepper them lightly. Spread chicken mixture on top of the crumb mixture until it’s about 1/2″ thick. Sprinkle more panko crumbs, salt, and pepper on top of the chicken mixture. Use a cookie cutter to cut the chicken into star shapes. Instead of doing all that, I formed the turkey/veggie mixture into nugget shapes and then dipped them in the panko bread crumbs. 

Transfer to a cookie sheet which has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 14-16 minutes, or just until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with ranch dressing or barbecue sauce.

*Sorry, I completely forgot to take pictures of the process. I really need to get better about that! 

My toddler cooking was not over for the weekend! I also decided to make some SuperMac and Cheese, the added pumpkin puree makes it super.  Again, it was a big hit with Joslyn and I tried some and thought it was tasty too!  It tasted like regular mac and cheese to me. 

SuperMac and Cheese (from NutureBaby)
1 box (8 oz.) whole wheat macaroni pasta
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
½ cup canned pumpkin*
1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg (optional) *I left this out

*Can substitute pumpkin with pureed sweet potato or butternut squash. Great way to use up those baby purees if you still have some in the freezer!

Cook the pasta in large pot of boiling water according to package instructions, about 8-9 minutes. Drain and set aside in large bowl.

Begin making the cheese sauce by melting butter over medium-low heat in a saucepan. Once completely melted, add the flour little by little and mix with a whisk to prevent lumps. Cook flour and butter mixture for about 3 minutes, but do not let brown. Remove from heat and slowly add milk; mix with whisk until well combined. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Add nutmeg and pumpkin. Remove from heat and add grated cheese; stir until cheese is completely melted and sauce is smooth.

In a large bowl, pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta. Mix sauce and pasta until well combined. The mixture may appear a bit soupy but the pasta will absorb more of the cheese sauce as it sits. Once cooled, chop slightly in food processor for small babies or keep whole for toddlers. Serve immediately or disperse evenly in ice cube trays (for small babies) or cupcake tins (for toddlers) to freeze.

Looks like the boxed stuff, doesn't it?!
Easy way to fool kids into eating their veggies!
Kid tested, mother approved!
She dropped some on her bib and was trying to put it back on the spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment