Sunday, May 2, 2010

Freeze-a-thon

I wanted to freeze a bunch of meals in preparation for Baby z's arrival. I figured I wouldn't have the time or energy to cook and it would be nice to have a few meals all ready to be popped in the oven. I found two great websites that gave me a ton of recipes to choose from, Once a Month Mom (has baby food recipes too) and Freeze Happy. I tried to pick the easiest ones, two required no cooking at all before freezing. I made a game plan to spread the cooking over a few days so I wouldn't tire myself out. And when Jennie-O ground turkey went on sale a couple weeks ago, I stocked up in preparation. I started on Friday with apple streusel muffins. I quadrupled the recipe because we had to bring a breakfast item to our childbirth class on Saturday.

Apple Streusel Muffins
Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup walnuts (I left these out and added about 1/3 cup flour instead)

Mix all ingredients to resemble coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Batter:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vajavascript:void(0);nilla
2/3 cup grated apple (2 apples, peeled and grated)
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners (or use a jumbo muffin tin and line 8 of the cups)
Mix together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl, including grated apples. Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.
Divide batter evenly into tins and top with streusel mixture.
For regular muffins, bake for 15-18 minutes, until tester comes out clean.
For jumbo muffins, bake for 18-22 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Makes 12 regular muffins or 8 jumbo muffins.

I put them in labeled gallon freezer bags and now all we have to do is take one out of the freezer when we want it and pop it in the microwave for a few minutes!


Saturday, we had our last childbirth class....well we may go to another one next Wednesday because our instructor is covering the information we missed. It was all about pushing so that might be valuable information. And we paid for the class so might as well get all the information that was offered. Our class set up a google group so we could all keep in contact and send pictures of the babies when they are born. I'm really glad we took the class. It was actually fun! After class, we headed downtown to meet up with my brother Darin for lunch and to check out his work displayed at school. I'm so proud of my brother when I hear him talk about his projects. He has such a passion for architecture! John was fascinated with the models created by 3D printers and geeked out when Darin showed him the 3D printers they have at school. We headed home and I worked on thank you cards for a little bit and then got to work doing more cooking. On the agenda, two lasagnas. One for dinner that night and one to freeze. John loves the crock pot lasagna I make so I used that recipe but put it in a 13x9 pan instead of the crock pot.

Crock Pot Lasagna (or you can put it in the oven!)
1lb ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced (I always add a little more)
28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
15 oz. canned tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups park-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Dry lasagna noodles, no cook
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. (I used a little more than this because a baking dish is larger than a crock pot.)
3. Spoon 1/3 of turkey mixture into baking dish. Layer lasagna noodles over and top with half the ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining turkey mixture.
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese and sprinkle this on top.
5. Cover with foil and freeze.
6. To serve: Thaw in fridge. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake about 20-25 minutes more until bubbling and browned. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.



We relaxed the rest of the night and watched the Hurt Locker. Sunday, Abby got me up for her walk but it was nice to get out and enjoy the beautiful sunshine! I'm really hoping the sun stays and the rain is gone for good. I cleaned the house and did laundry and then got to cooking again. I made 2 layered enchilada casseroles, 2 servings of lemon chicken and veggies and pulled pork.
Pulled Pork for the Crock Pot
2 lbs pork roast
1 cup yellow onions, diced
1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup water
1 bottle BBQ sauce

To freeze:
Place all ingredients into a gallon freezer bag. Label bag and freeze.

To cook:
Thaw in fridge. Dump contents into crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until pork shreds easily. Shred meat with a fork and serve on hamburger buns.

Lemon Chicken with Veggies
1 lb chicken
3 tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup green beans, diced
1 cup zucchini, diced
1 cup potatoes, diced
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 lemons, juiced
2 tbsp. parmesan cheese (to use before you cook)
salt and pepper to taste

Divide and place chicken, garlic and veggies in 2, gallon freezer bags. Drizzle with lemon and olive oil. Mix in salt and pepper. Freeze.

To serve: Thaw in fridge. Place in baking dish and top with parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I labeled all the bags with what was in it, when I made it and the cooking directions.


Layered Enchilada Casserole
1 1/2lbs. ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
1 7oz. can diced green chilies
1 package taco seasoning (I make my own with 1 tsp cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, garlic powder and 1/2 tsp. dried oregano)
6 wheat tortillas
1 15 oz. can black beans (I used pinto beans in one of them)
2 cups (16oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 jar (16 oz) salsa
1 can sliced black olives, optional
1/2 cup cilantro, optional

Grease a 13x9 baking dish and set aside. Heat skillet on medium-high heat and cook onion and ground turkey until brown. Add taco seasoning and water and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add green chilies. Layer half the tortillas in baking dish. Top with turkey mixture and beans. Sprinkle half the olives and cilantro on top, if desired. Cover with half the cheese. Layer remaining tortillas on top. Spread salsa evenly over tortillas, and remaining cilantro and olives, then sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover with foil and freeze.

To serve: Thaw in fridge. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.



About 4 hours of cooking and we have a stocked freezer!

I'm still planning on making spaghetti sauce and meatballs when my Mom comes to LA for my shower in a couple weeks.

While I was cleaning, John got to work hanging up pictures in Baby Z's room. Lisa's artwork hung above the changing table and we put up two of the dragonfly hooks that my Mom bought. Still trying to decide where I want the other two.



And he hung up the color copies of the book pages above the bookcase. LOVE the way they came out!

I also ordered this wall decal (in chocolate brown) and I'm thinking we'll put it on the wall next to my chair....or above the crib. But I think pictures printed on canvas would look great above the crib.
Dr. Seuss Wall Quote Decal Vinyl Words Sticker Decor FREE SHIPPING

A VERY productive weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, look at you go with the cooking! Everything sounds delicious...Oh and that ham potato cassarole that I posted a couple weeks ago? I am going to try it with some chicken instead of ham this week or next :) Ill let you know how it turns out, the ham version freezes well so the chicken version should too...

    Oh, and that decal is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out with chicken! I wish I had a bigger freezer so I could make more meals, lol. I figure I'll probably use some of them the last couple weeks of pregnancy too. I already hate cooking dinner when I get home because all I want to do is put my feet up! The once a month cooking sounds fabulous but my freezer could never hold everything.

    I love the decal too...can't wait to get it! There are so many cool decals on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so....together! I need to take a few tips from you and I don't even have a bun in the oven. All your food looks delish and I love the way the nursery is coming out! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not be so together once Baby Z gets here so I'm taking advantage of my energy while I have it :-) And I know how sick I get of eating out all the time so I want some homecooked meals ready...and John can always BBQ. That he can handle, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete