While we were vacationing on Cape Cod, Joslyn became an ice cream fanatic. Even though I am a believer in everything is ok in moderation, I wanted to find a healthier version of ice cream for her. I did a little searching on a few of my favorite toddler recipe sites and found a recipe for chocolate banana ice cream. Joslyn LOVES bananas and I froze some strawberries that I bought a couple weeks before so this sounded perfect. I have an ice cream maker but the best thing about this recipe is you don't need one to make it. You only need a blender! It was very easy to make and Joslyn loved it. She got mad when I took the bowl away to grab my camera. I thought it tasted like a smoothie but John thought it tasted too much like bananas. I think the flavor would have been a bit more chocolate-y if I didn't screw up reading the directions and added the correct amount of cocoa powder but I'll add the right amount next time. I don't think it lacked anything with leaving the honey and vanilla out. The mixture was a little runny when I finished blending so I put it in the freezer for a bit to harden up. We got 3 spoons, a big bowl and all enjoyed a sweet treat!
 |
| I'll have this whole bowl myself, thank you very much. |
 |
| Yum! |
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
From
Weelicious
(Serves 4)
1/3 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
2 Tbsp Honey *Didn't add this, not sure if Jos can have honey. Need to ask pediatrician
1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
(uh, I screwed up and only added a tsp so mine was not very chocolate-y but still good!)
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract *Didn't add this either
2 Cups Frozen Sliced Bananas*
1/4 Cup Frozen Strawberries ***
1. Place the yogurt, cocoa powder, honey and vanilla extract in a blender and quickly combine the ingredients for a few seconds, using the lowest setting to puree.
2. Add the frozen banana and strawberries to the mixture. Puree on the lowest setting for 20 seconds.
3. Scrape down the sides and puree again. Repeat the process until the mixture is smooth.**
4. Serve.
* Bananas can take a day up to 4 hours to freeze well, so take three or four bananas, slice them about 1/2″ thick, freeze them in a Ziploc bag (make sure to lay the slices out flat in the bag when you freeze so they don't stick together) and leave them in the freezer so you can always make this treat on a moment’s notice.
** Use the lowest setting to puree to avoid the ice cream from getting too loose and so it has more of a true ice cream texture.
*** Hubby likes using strawberries but you can use whatever frozen fruit you like in addition to the bananas.
No comments:
Post a Comment