I got started last night on the busy bags. I thought it would be best to start early since soon I'll have to start on the growing list of projects for Joslyn's 2nd birthday party (in 3 months, where does the time go?!) and since we leave on our trip shortly after that, I want to make sure I'm not panicked to get these busy bags done. I'm toying with the idea of possibly suggesting a busy bag swap party to my MOMS Club also. I think it would be a fun way for everyone to get some busy bags to entertain their kids on summer trips, and I'll get help knocking things off my list. Win win!
Last night, I made a button snake and a travel felt board. Since I already had all the supplies, the total cost was $0! Can't beat that! The button snake was really easy to make. I sewed a large button on one end of a piece of ribbon and then cut out a bunch of squares with all the felt I had leftover from making the felt board in Joslyn's play room. Next, I cut slits in the squares that were big enough for the button to slip through. I slipped the first square on the ribbon and sewed that to the bottom of the ribbon to form a base and it was done. Can't get any easier than that!
Each busy bag item will be put in a ziploc bag and labeled. I don't have any pictures of Jos trying it out because they are all being kept hidden away until our trip!
The travel felt board was also very easy to make. I cut out a piece of cardboard, sandwiched it between two pieces of felt and glued the sides. I cut the felt a little smaller so it would fit into a ziploc bag but you could just keep it the same size as the felt sheets Michaels sells so no cutting is required. Then I cut out all the shapes for the house scene. The hubs helped and cut out the tree.
I was going to make face cut outs on the other side but the hubs came up with the brilliant idea to make an Elmo since Jos loves all things Elmo. I didn't have orange or black felt but we made due with a yellow nose and gray felt colored in with a black marker. Isn't he cute?!
I'm loving these busy bags!
Pushing Puff Balls (with a small tupperware container)
Last night, I made a button snake and a travel felt board. Since I already had all the supplies, the total cost was $0! Can't beat that! The button snake was really easy to make. I sewed a large button on one end of a piece of ribbon and then cut out a bunch of squares with all the felt I had leftover from making the felt board in Joslyn's play room. Next, I cut slits in the squares that were big enough for the button to slip through. I slipped the first square on the ribbon and sewed that to the bottom of the ribbon to form a base and it was done. Can't get any easier than that!
Each busy bag item will be put in a ziploc bag and labeled. I don't have any pictures of Jos trying it out because they are all being kept hidden away until our trip!
The travel felt board was also very easy to make. I cut out a piece of cardboard, sandwiched it between two pieces of felt and glued the sides. I cut the felt a little smaller so it would fit into a ziploc bag but you could just keep it the same size as the felt sheets Michaels sells so no cutting is required. Then I cut out all the shapes for the house scene. The hubs helped and cut out the tree.
I was going to make face cut outs on the other side but the hubs came up with the brilliant idea to make an Elmo since Jos loves all things Elmo. I didn't have orange or black felt but we made due with a yellow nose and gray felt colored in with a black marker. Isn't he cute?!
I'm loving these busy bags!
Pushing Puff Balls (with a small tupperware container)
Pipe Cleaner Toy (maybe with one of the half size Pringles cans?)
Those are awesome! GOod job! I'm totally inspired to make a felt board...you make it look pretty easy!
ReplyDeleteI just got in a busy bag exchange...there are 20 moms participating so I'm pretty excited for the end of the month when all the projects are due and swapped! Maya's a little young, but I'm sure I will love these busy bags soon enough!