Monday, March 5, 2012

Sew Crafty!

My Mom knows how to sew and has made me a lot of throw pillows, the best burp cloths on the planet, an amazing quilt for Joslyn before she was born and all of Joslyn's Halloween costumes, just to name a few things.  I've always wanted to learn to sew but never had a sewing machine but for Christmas I decided to buy myself a machine and have my Mom pass on her sewing knowledge to me.  My first project was an ambitious one, window valances for our kitchen.  When we moved into this house, the filthiest ugliest curtains were hanging in the kitchen.  I don't even have a picture of them because they had to come down as soon as we moved in.  I would rather have naked windows than them.  This weekend my Mom came to visit and we got to work on the valances!  She made the biggest one while I watched. I'm a visual learner so the best way for me to learn is to watch someone do it and then try to do it myself.  Once she completed the valance for the large slider, I got to work on the two smaller windows.  Now I can't say all my seams are perfectly straight but I'm pretty darn proud of myself and my first project! My kitchen looks so much better with it's new window coverings and I love having it completely decorated after living here for 3 months!

A couple before pictures.


And AFTER!!
Aren't they pretty?!


This blank wall needed something. I got two big Ribba frames from Ikea and filled them with pictures from Bass Hole. I love the way it came out!

While my Mom was here, we took a trip to her favorite store, HomeGoods, and I found this "Relax" sign. I picked the sailing print up on a trip to Cape Cod last summer and it inspired my color and beach theme for the kitchen.  I think I'm going to get 2 more white frames for either side of the print and frame other pictures from our trips to the Cape.

We got this island from Ikea because the kitchen was seriously lacking in counter space.  That was not going to work since I love to cook and bake.  This fits perfectly in the kitchen, like it was meant to be there all along!

Once we were done with the valances, we moved onto pillows!  I wanted to make two for our master bedroom. My Mom showed me how to make them and I completed all the sewing.  Watch out world, I can sew and I will make a million throw pillows!




Our bed definitely needs more pillows than this ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment