My daughter loves fruit, especially bananas and apples, but it's impossible to get her to eat a vegetable. For awhile she liked the snap peas but she won't even eat those lately. I've been looking for recipes that have non-detectable veggies in it to try and trick her into eating more. I made a crock pot macaroni and cheese with cauliflower that she liked and recently I came across a recipe for zucchini tots, which she wouldn't even try but John and I liked them. I thought I'd use the leftover zucchini and make muffins. She LOVES muffins so I figured she would at least try it. Well she devoured the first one I gave her and asked for more! She had no clue she was eating so many vegetables, and since I used very little sugar and yogurt instead of oil they are really healthy too!
The original recipe from Dashing Dish (my adaptations are in italics)
Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used all purpose flour because that's what I had.)
2-1/4 tsp of baking soda
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup Splenda (I used regular sugar but only around 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or nonfat plain yogurt (I used the yogurt)
1 cup grated zucchini, squeezed and packed into the measuring cup
dash of vanilla
Method
Preheat the oven to 350. Coat 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray (or use cupcake liners).
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites, Splenda, and applesauce (or yogurt).
Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture stirring until well combined but do not over mix the batter or muffins will be tough. Fold in the zucchini.
Use a spoon or ice cream scooper to distribute the muffin dough equally among the cups, filling the cups up completely.
Bake about 25-30 minutes or until muffins are golden brown, and the top of the muffins bounce back when you press on them. Test with a toothpick to make sure the center of the muffins are done.
Set on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the tin and let cool another 20 minutes.
Watch your daughter eat vegetables without knowing it!
Monday, April 9, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment