Thursday, February 9, 2012

How to Make a Felt Board

I've been wanting to make a felt board for Joslyn after seeing one on Pinterest (of course) but I was forced into action after she decided to tear down one of the bookshelves in her playroom.  Yeah, my girl is not very gentle on her stuff.  I needed something to cover the holes in the wall....and a felt board was the perfect solution!  The original design I saw said to use a frame but I wanted something lightweight that she could take off the wall if she wanted and carry around.  Michaels was having a sale on canvases so I picked up a 16x20 one and red felt large enough to cover it.  Then I grabbed a few smaller sheets of felt in a variety of colors to cut out letters and other objects.  All I did was spray a little adhesive on the canvas and then I wrapped the red felt around it like a gift.  If I do it again, I would trim the corners to make them lay flatter.  Because of the extra fabric on the corners, it was difficult to wrap it tight around the canvas but craft projects are all about trial and error and I will know what to do differently the next time.


I cut out the letters R E A D, some cupcakes for her to decorate and hearts for Valentine's Day.  I'll probably cut out some numbers and the letters for her name too.  The possibilities are endless!  And while browsing on Etsy, I came across this Itsy Bitsy Spider set that I couldn't resist buying since Grandma Sue taught Jos that song and she loves singing it. I got some velcro dots to put on the back of the cut outs but the felt sticks onto the board without it.

Trying it out before I hung it up in the playroom.
Could it be any cuter?!

I love her reading corner.

Crafting makes me thirsty!
I'm thinking of making a travel size version with a pocket on the back for our trip to France this summer. I'm going to need plenty of things to entertain her on that flight!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute :) And what's this about France????

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable!!! I love it!! Pinterest is the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea. :) I'll have to make one for Gabby too.

    ReplyDelete