Tuesday, February 7, 2012

MOMS Club

Joslyn and I are officially members of the MOMS Club of Lake Forest.  Now, I never really considered myself the mom group type.  I never joined a sorority and group social situations tend to make me go inside my shell like a turtle.  But my desperation to meet people has made me do crazy things so I decided to go to an open house for the local MOMS Club and see what it was all about.  I met some nice women and Jos had fun playing with the other kids so I decided to step out of my box and join.  What I like is that it's forcing me to get out of the house and enjoy what our new area has to offer.  Events are posted on meetup.com and I can decide which ones we want to go to. We've gone to two events so far, open gym at a gymnastics club and story time at the local library (I actually suggested this event since I wanted to take Jos anyway).  I thought the gymnastics open gym would be a huge hit with Jos since she is always asking us to flip her upside down or is jumping on something but I think she was overwhelmed by the amount of things to do, and most of the kids were a lot older than her.  She did have fun jumping on the trampoline with me and went down the little plastic slide they had set up about 20 times.  I think we're going to check out another gymnastics class that starts on the 20th.  This is a more structured class just for MOMS Club members so I think Jos might have more fun and get involved more.  We'll try the first class and see what she thinks.

I didn't take any pictures with my camera but I did get one picture on my iPhone.  They read a story at the very end and Jos was the rebel in the group and decided she wanted to stand up, and was clearly not paying attention to the story.  She had other things she needed to look at.


Our neighborhood library has Toddler Time every Monday and Joslyn and I went for the first time this Monday.  I also picked up my library card, my first in YEARS! I kept meaning to get one and never did. I was concerned Jos wouldn't sit still for story time but she sat in my lap most of the time and had fun during the singing parts.  It felt as if we were the only first timers there because everyone knew the songs and we were just following along but it was still fun.  It was half an hour of books, felt board stories, songs and even a musical instrument thrown in there.  Once again, I think Jos was overwhelmed with everything going on but she was clapping after the songs and seemed to have fun.  Afterwards, we went over to pick up the library card and Joslyn found a little friend. They were running around the bookshelves together.  I recognized her mom as being one of the MOMS club member so I introduced myself and asked her how old her daughter was, turns out she's only a few days older than Jos.  It was nice to meet another member with a daughter the same age.  We didn't pick out a book that day but we will be back again soon!

Joslyn took this picture.
She insists on taking a picture herself whenever she sees me with the camera.


Hiding under bookshelves is fun!

And I found a friend!

Girl on a mission!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the meet up group! I don't know what I'd do without my group!

    ReplyDelete